Saturday, July 10, 2010

YouTube Account FAQ

These are not really FAQs (F = frequently) since I don't get a lot of questions but the messages/comments I get all seem to ask the same things.

1. Can you subtitle xxx show?

I'm not Korean and I don't understand the Korean language. Therefore, I cannot subtitle Korean TV shows. However, I can "read" a bit of Hangul, enough to figure out the guest list for each episode.

2. Where do you get subtitled programs?

KBS World. Out of the major TV networks in Korea (KBS/MBC/SBS), only KBS subtitles their own programs. I have KBS America on my cable TV subscription which broadcasts KBS shows with English subtitles.

3. What shows do you record?

I mostly watch variety shows. Initially I was only interested in Star Golden Bell but now I also record episodes of Happy Together 3 and Invincible Youth. I'm not a big fan of boy bands so I only record Let's Go Dream Team 2 if they have girl groups as guests.

There are other shows I like to watch: Family Outing (SBS), We Got Married (MBC), Strong Heart (SBS), etc. Unfortunately, they're not KBS shows so I have to search online for fansubs too.

4. How do you record and upload shows?

I was too cheap to rent a DVR from my cable company so I record using a DVD recorder. Once the show is recorded to a DVD, I use AOA DVD Ripper to create a MPEG4 file (640x480 @768 kbps). Each hour long episode comes out to ~400MB.

To upload, I use Avidemux to split the MP4 file into ~10 minute segments. These smaller MP4 files are then uploaded to YouTube. Almost all the work is done on my Sony Vaio CR-420E notebook running Windows Vista.

5. How do I know when a specific episode is available?

Each of the shows I record has a webpage on the main KBS Korean website. Look for "방송보기" which brings up a list of episodes. Remember these are Korean broadcast dates so adjust accordingly for delayed KBS World/America broadcasts.

Star Golden Bell (new)
Star Golden Bell (old)
Happy Together Season 3
Invincible Youth (G7)
Let's Go! Dream Team Season 2

6. You're too slow! Where else can I watch these shows online?!

Whatever. I'm limited by the KBS America broadcast schedule and a full-time job so I upload whenever I have time. If you're impatient, you can try here:

Cashewmania Kpop - original Korean broadcast w/o subtities
Pikeyenny's Blog - earlier broadcast schedule (Vietnam) but occasional video quality issues
AliceChen's World - another KBS America uploader

No comments:

Post a Comment